Thursday, June 29, 2006

New Furniture

I am 42 years old and I do not believe I have ever owned brand new off the showroom floor furniture. We have purchased brand new appliances, new computers/computer desks and new mattress sets but never had new furniture. In fact all of the furniture in my home is a hand me down, free or purchased used. We have planned on buying furniture several times but I don't think my husband and I have been able to agree on anything that we really liked when we had the money to buy. Yesterday however that did not happen, we agreed.

We finally had our insurance money released on Tuesday which means the money is now burning a hole in Fred's pocket and he has to spend some of it. I sent him to Home Depot to look around for a ceiling fan for the living room and tile for the Florida room. He comes back hours later with furniture brochures. He and Elizabeth went to Haverty's and just looked around. I am still not feeling all that great and we agreed we would go looking together for furniture on Monday. I have my 2 week post-op appointment and I am hoping she will give me the all clear to at least drive and take my Spanish class. My incision still hurts and I am still napping regularly so she may not we will see. Anyway after lunch Fred makes me get up and get dressed so that I can go look at this great furniture they have at Haverty's. I'm not overly thrilled I have just taken my pain pills and he was like "perfect lets go."

We get to Haverty's and Fred and Beth are showing Erin and I the several pieces of furniture they looked at. I had mentioned wanting a new dining room table. A friend of ours has the high top 8 seat square dinning room table. I really liked it and had mentioned maybe looking at a set for us. Fred and Elizabeth showed us several sets but I really liked the "Aris" set so we bought it with the server and the lazy susan. Then they dragged me over to this huge sectional sofa. It is sage green and it has 4 recliners called "Concepts". It is so comfortable so we bought that too. I picked out 2 end tables and will go back next week for an area rug, we decided we do not need a coffee table. We are going to paint the living room this weekend and have the furniture delivered on Monday. I am so happy.

When I am feeling better I am going to shop for material for new curtains, throw pillows and dining room chair seats. I am doing the livingroom in medium to dark greens with tan and some black. I am having several pictures framed for the living room to go with the ones already hanging. Our home is finally starting to look the way I imagined it would and the livingroom and dining room will become the new gathering area. The dogs are going to be very upset because we are going to lock them out of the main living area. There will be no dog hairs on my new furniture. They will have plenty of space in the Game/Billiard/ex den for their beds and toys. I can't wait.

No comments: