Sunday, June 04, 2006

Hurricane Season

It is amazing how quickly the season sneaks up on you. We have not repaired the damage from last years storm and here it is Hurricane Season again. We thought we were doing okay. We finally were able to get the patio company out here this week to put up the new pool enclosure only to have them leave Friday with the frame partially erected and scattered all over my back yard. The prep guys came out and started getting the roof and fascia ready for the enclosure. They started pulling off the what was left of the old enclosre and ran into rotted wood. They found old termite damage in the eaves under the fascia and a soft spot in the roof where the old patio covered at the corner. The wood is rotted there and will have to be replaced and reroofed. We are lucky Fred has a friend named Brian who has agreed to help Fred fix the roof. Fred is going to order the materials Monday and next weekend they are going to fix the roof.If they can get it all done then next week the patio company can get the pool enclosure up. Yeahhhhhhh!!!!!

We are also gearing up at work for the season. Last year we were suppose to work out a Hurricane schedule but it never done that I know of. With the 2004 storm Francis we worked the double shift but the storm was so long and there were so many people in the center my boss Jack decided that we did not need that many people. When Jeanne came through at the end of September 2004 only one shift work during the storm and they were swamped with calls. When Wilma hit in 2005 the hurricane shift had still not been implemented so we went ahead and just worked the double shift. The storm was only Cat. 2 and it was a fast storm so we were able to get our shifts in and out with little problems. It worked well. This week Jack sent out a memo/survey as to what we prefered to work...... during or after the hurricane. Personlly I prefer to work after the storm but my children are getting older and more independent and have ridden out 3 major storms with very little trauma. With Wilma the kids played card games all day and goofed off. The only time any of them became concerned was when I went out into the back yard after the poll enclosure fell down. They yelled at me. Fred says that sometimes I'm to hardheaded to be scared. He doesn't mean it in a mean way he just wishes I were a little more cautious at times and standing outside during a Cat. 2 is not a smart thing to do. On Tuesday we have a shift workshop and I plan on bringing up the Hurricane schedule and getting everyones input on working the double shift and keep shift integrity and just working with the individuals who may need to stay home with there families. I don't think there will be a problem getting almost everyone to agree to this. I think once we get it settled everyone will feel more at ease.

I also brought up the subject of a Hurricane Menu to my shift. Several of the supervisors have tossed around the idea of either getting there own caterer or just buying groceries and cooking. Amy brought up the subject Friday night and then I discussed it with my shift. They all agreed it was a good idea so yesterday I typed up a rough draft for a 2 day menu. This would be for a less severe storm Cat 2 or 3.
If we have a Cat 4 or 5 approach our coastline we can expand it into a 3 or 4 day menu. I passed it out to my shift last night and they all liked it. I gave a copy to the day shift supervisor this morning and she said she would get with her shift. Two of my shift mates on dayshift are all for it and were already volunteering there grills and coolers. I think this will go over real well and is getting everyone excited and involved. I am hoping I can get the same reaction for the hurricane shift.

I know once we get these two main issues out of the way everyone at the center will feel more at ease...............

No comments: