Thursday, June 01, 2006

MySpace.com

I attended a supervisor’s workshop today and it was pretty interesting. We listened to a motivational speaker about being more than just a manager. The speaker focused on being a good leader. I do have a few of the qualities he discussed but there are several areas I definitely need to work on. Note to self … be more patient with the public and co-workers…..never PMS ever again…….stop procrastinating……. Work on these things.

Anyway, the speaker was interesting and I did learn new ideas but I was a little disappointed. At the end of the presentation we were shown an internet blurb about MySpace.com. The speaker simply stated how dangerous this site was to our children and told us as parents to keep our children away from this site. Well, I don’t really have a problem with MySpace.com. I made a site several months ago when I needed an account to investigate a 911 complaint. I played around with it some made a link to this site. I added a few pictures and filled out the profile but that was it. I’d log on every once in awhile and see what was up. I personally don’t see what the big deal is but then again I am 42 and married……..

Elizabeth discovered that I had a MySpace account and begged me to let her go on and just look around. Apparently all her friends are on and she wanted to be able to look them up and chat. It is amazing how quickly she has taken over my account so I got her back by posting pictures of her on the site and by reading all her friends accounts. She got mad when she caught me reading her boyfriends site. Hehehehhe…..I read all the comments left on the site by her friends. I keep up with what is going on my account and I even uploaded a few pics one of her father carrying a rather large gun with and explanation of his profession along with my own. I do not always approve of what these kids pass back and forth to each other but these are teenagers and they are taking their first steps into adulthood. Expressing themselves is not a bad thing and this site gives them a perfect venue to do so. I love to blog I am literally addicted to it. I love to write I love to express myself when most times I am unable to do it verbally. I like meeting new people on line. I like using the internet in a positive manner it not only keeps me informed on what is going on in the world but also keeps me close to my family. I can keep up with all my aunt, uncles and cousins in a matter of minutes instead of months or years. These kids want the same thing. They just want to stay informed and keep up with what is going on in their world.

We live in the age of technology and we need to keep up. MySpace is just another tool in communicating. Used properly it is wonderful used improperly it can cause harm both mentally and even physically. Unfortunately, MySpace has become a pedophiles online catalog. I am not worried about my daughter she is smart and we talk to her about these things and she knows what can happen. In fact I had my date of birth on the account and she begged me to change it to her DOB. By making the DOB from 17-14 years of age their sites can only be monitored by friends they have invited to view their sites. I did not know that and was very happy she pointed it out. As I said before I don’t have a problem with my child using MySpace to keep up with her friends as long as she is under limited supervision and she dose not have a problem with that. I am not a perfect parent but I am happy with the way my children are growing up. They are intelligent and independent. I will not smother their independence by not letting them experience life. They need to make mistakes, they need to make their own decisions, and they need to be allowed to express themselves.

MySpace has given our children and young adults a network connected to 80 million people world wide. MySpace is a phenomenon that needs to be experienced not smothered. But all parents need to always be watchful of your children and what they are doing on the internet not just MySpace. Talk to your children let them know what they might run into on the WWW. Information and communication is a parent’s best weapon and if you are suspicious and your child is trying to hide what they are doing on their computer, I recommend a good keystroke program or products like cyber patrol or net nanny. If by chance your child has already been approached by one of these cyber pedophiles report them to your local law enforcement agency. Many agencies have officers that do nothing but work on internet fraud and other illegal activities including pedophile activity.

Enjoy the internet because that is what it is there for but don’t take it for granted because just like most things in life it can turn on you when you least expect it. Be smart be safe and keep on blogging……………………

No comments: