Thursday, May 04, 2006

Retailers Requesting Phone Numbers

I never really thought much of giving out my phone number to clerks at the check out line. I have done it many times in the past but today I was caught off guard when the clerk at Staples asked for my phone number after I had written a check. I don't recall ever being asked for that information before at this store. I usually use cash or up until last month my debit card. I have since closed out 2 bank accounts and opened a new account and just never ordered a debit card. I have a check book and it keeps me away from the ATM.

This just dose not make sense to me with a debit/credit card you just swipe and sign no identification is required. With a check my name and address is printed on it along with my signature, I must prove who I am by presenting my ID card that has my name address and signature on it. My phone number is not on either of this items for a reason That is my personal information and I pay to keep that information private I should not have to give it if I don't want to. The clerk hassled me until I finally caved and gave her my work phone number. Hell, I could have given her any number as long as she got one. The damn computer would not let her finish the transaction until I gave her a 10 digit number. It's not like I was not asking for a loan and the check was for only a little over $20.00.

In the age of computers, you would think they would be able to instantly check and verify my check. Weight Watchers and Paws and Claws use the technology. You would think Staples and other big chains would use the same program. Neither Publix nor Walmart ask me for my phone number so I don't understand why Staples need for a phone number unless they plan on selling/sharing the information and they can do that without my permission because the clerk asked me and I gave it to her.

No comments: