Friday, May 26, 2006

Last day of School at St Lucie Elementary

Yep today was the day summer vacation has officially begun. Beth like all the other teens did not go these last two days. She was promoted to ninth grade so she is done. All her friends are on my space so she's happy. Erin however was a totally different story, if she could keep going to school she would. She loves school. Today was really hard on her. She had to say good bye to her friends and teachers. When she came home today she was crying. Later on she told me that as she was leaving both Mrs. Avilla and Mrs. Bolderdorf were crying. Fred even had a hard time keeping a straight face. Erin told me that many of her friends were upset and crying today. Her friend Morgan was very upset and even Alex had red eyes. He is very upset they will not be at the same schools next year.

I am also taking toda a little hard, my family has been with St Lucie Elementary for 14 years. My 20 year old son attended when he was in 5th grade and then Beth attended the next year as a kindergartener and now Erin who also started as a kindergarener is going onto middle school. I never would have imagined that she would have taken the last day of school so hard but then again I did not think I would either. I still tear up a little because I will no longer be a St Lucie Elementary parent. I think what is making it so hard on everybody is the new districting. Most kids are still bused many bused to Fort Pierce from Port St Lucie. Most of my girl's friends live in Port St Lucie and next year will be going to their neighborhood schools. Most of Erin's friends will be attending PSL schools while she will go to Dan McCarty Middle here in Ft PIerce. Her best friend Carlyn and her boyfriend Alex are both going to the new middle school in St Liucie West. Many of the teachers a St Lucie Elementary are aslo switching schools to be closer to home.

I pushed hard for this new districting program. It makes sense and it will save money in transportation but I never thought of how hard it will be on our children. They will be seperated from their friends by district lines. I know diversity is good and so is change but today is a sad day in St Lucie County. Instead of happy children eager to celebrate the beginning of summer my 10 yeqr old daughter worries that she might never see her friends again.

No comments: