Tuesday, November 29, 2005

My Long Thanksgiving Weekend

I worked all weekend. Fun! Fun! Working on another shift just makes me really appreciate the people I work with. They are a really good bunch of human beings. We may bicker a little but we always remain friends. We even find time to hang out every once and a while. It’s hard when we are all working overtime. In fact we planned a little get together at Pier’s house Friday night but Fred made dinner and I had to work at 7am Saturday so Fred and I decided not to go. They told me tonight they all had a good time.

Back to the shift from hell…… I really can’t say that Saturday or Sunday were bad days. I answered phones and helped with breaks on Saturday. I work the PSL West channel on Sunday. No one fought or argued or bickered. Everyone basically got along well. It was the yelling and complaining about officers, calls and miscellaneous crap. Saturday the big deal was change. One of the girls did not get her change from lunch. There was no receipt so we all guesstimated. She was the last one to retrieve her change and there was none left. She called the restaurant and because she ordered her sandwich special (not a menu item). She had no clue what the price was of her sandwich and then she waited almost 5 hours to call no one had a clue how much she was charged. The manager finally worked it out but then there was the price of a dessert brownie she ordered. She was very upset with the price (apparently it had gone up since the last time she was there) and the fact she did not get the ice cream that goes with it. She basically ruded the guy out. Needless to say we wont be able to order there safely again for awhile.

Sunday was really nice. I worked the slowest radio in the center it was pleasant and I was able to finish a chapter for my book. As the day progressed the Fort Pierce dispatchers started getting loud and the complaining grew in intensity. At one point they were both having cows over an officer going off duty without responding to a call. There were some mitigating circumstances but she did notify the sergeant and because he did not act all bent out of shape the dispatchers had a bigger cow. I was very happy to go home after that display of professionalism. Now to be fair I have had my moments over the last few years. I have had hissy fits and temper tantrums on the air and I have made a complete fool of myself a time or two. However even I believe I would have handled the incident with a little more tact. The dispatcher made an assumption and that was her mistake besides if the sergeants don’t care why should I. I notified him it’s no longer my monkey.

I just have to say how thankful I am for having wonderful coworkers that make my job more pleasant.

No comments: