Sunday, January 28, 2007

The Lighthouse and the Ghost Walk

 
Posted by Picasa


St Augustine has a very rich history including ghosts. We wanted to take the midnight tour Friday night but it was too cold. So we hoped to try again last night. Rains threaten our tour this time so we planned to take the 8:30 pm trip. Another cold front was threatening to blow through again. We’d spent an excellent day exploring the lighthouse, the beaches and old Fort Matanzas. I almost did not think I was going anywhere after 219 steps up and 219 steps back down the lighthouse stair but some how I managed. I hurt all over this morning.

8:30 pm finally arrived and we met the old Sheriff Guy White. He is definitely a character and a most excellent tour guide. He was funny and picked on my daughters the entire trip. It was fairly uneventful tour until we arrived at the Tolomato cemetery. The night before as we were searching for a parking space Elizabeth swore she saw someone walking around in the cemetery, we all saw what we thought was a guy in a white t-shirt walking from his vehicle to a house. I still think that is what I saw but Beth insists she saw someone moving around the grave stones. The cemetery is pretty busy. There are tours all over. We walk to a fairly secluded spot on the north side of the cemetery. I lean up against the old concrete wall. It comes up almost to my waist and I find a spot that is relatively clear of all debris. As I lean there something pokes me gently in the side twice. I turn to look and there is nothing there. A small vine is hanging down but I quickly eliminate it. It is too light to have caused the sensation I felt. There is nothing there.

I am amazed that I did not freak out or even say anything. In fact I am still trying to think of a more plausible explanation. I do believe in spirits or ghost if you will. When I was a teenager we lived with one in our house on English St in North Charleston. The cold spots the noises in the attic were not always explained away. We were lucky our spirit was nice and I believe this one was also just being a prankster.

Erin also had a little fun. Apparently she was touched by Sally the ghost and named the prettiest girl on the tour.

No comments: