Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Wilma was not a nice Hurricane

I am beginning to think we have bad luck. We bought our house because it survived 2 hurricanes last year with minimal damage. Wilma was bad. As we hit what we would normally refer to as the back side of the hurricane. The wind shifted slightly from the east to the north east and really started blowing. We lost electricity. Not too long after that we heard something hit the roof. Warren I went in the garage and went up into the attic to make sure the vent cap had not blown off. It was still there so I thought maybe it was just debris. Not too long after that Beth started calling me to the back of the house. She was in the cabana bathroom with the window open. Our pool patio had started to fall in. The SW corner looked like it just crumbled. The grapefruit tree was blown over along with another small tree. Within 15 minutes the entire patio was blown apart. It now sits mangled in my back yard. It was another hour before the wind started to die down and we were able to walk outside and try to get the generator going. Of course it did not work we had to wait for Fred to come home and say the magic words. It has worked fine ever since. We have T.V. but our satellite took a hit from the patio it just looks like it needs to be aligned. DSL did not work either. Fred tested the connection when he came home tonight and Bellsouth is down.

While we were in the back yard gingerly walking over twisted aluminum and screening I could see quite a few roof tiles on the ground. Erin must have picked up at least a dozen or more tiles. I went around to the front of the house and there is 2 to 3 tiles missing off the corner over the garage and a large area directly over the living room where there are not longer any tiles. We have no leaks, Thank God. So far everyone is okay. Fred should be able to have it repaired in no time.

Fred’s parents called, Mr. Pate lost another shed. Eleanor said there was stuff all over the yard. My mom called I guess she is ok. Beth talked to her and she was supposed to call back. I think she was just checking to make sure we are ok. I guess I really should not be so negative we are all healthy and happy and we still have our home even though it is a little battered. We have electricity and lights shine from our windows at night on a street that is pitch black.

It was pitch black I should say. The electricity just came back on. We were out for only 8 hours. Oh my Gosh that is a new record. I guess we are not so unlucky after all. I think I am going to go pop some popcorn now.

8pm Monday October 24, 2005

**********************************************************************************

We have lights phones and internet but Satellite is busted so no T.V. Children watch a lot of DVDs. Everyone is fine. Mom's garage door blew off but there are no leaks the city has done a wonderful job getting everything back to normal. Wal-Mart and Publix opened at 7am yesterday and we had trash service. I doesn’t get any better than this. As a Floridian I am proud of how quickly our local government, businesses and citizens responded to getting debris cleaned up and life back to as close to normal as possible.

We have had a lot of people driving up from Palm Beach and even further south to purchase supplies, water and gas. I think today some areas are starting to get electricity. I heard a report some gas stations and stores are starting to open in Palm Beach. When I went out this morning Wal-Mart was packed already and the gas lines were already forming so I don’t know how true that is. We have a distribution station literally x-street at Lawnwood stadium Mom sat in line for over an hour for a tarp 4 MRE's and ice. The line was not as long this morning as yesterday but it is still early.Here are some pics I downloaded this morning. I have not been out too much just to Publix and Wal-Mart. I went to the Pate's and Mom's yesterday to check on everyone because the phone lines were down but I left my camera at home. I did not see too much damage mostly a lot of tree damage. I have to give credit to the roofers, all the new roofs held up real nice.

Fred is on his 6th day of 12 1/2 hour shifts. He is starting to get tired and a little cranky. He is tired of dealing with stupid people and drunks. He is hoping for a day off on Saturday. He and Eric plan on getting into the back yard and cutting up the patio with a saws all and chopping up our downed trees.

The girls and I picked up all the debris in the front yard and Warren and Elizabeth cleaned out the pool. It looks a lot better and I can run the pump now so it doesn’t turn green. Our pool guy is going to come back next week and vacuum it out real good so we can get the crawler back in.

IRCC opened today Warren has to go back to class. He only has to make up 2 days. The girls will have to make up a week at least. Okay I’m done. I have chores to do that I am ignoring and I need to get at least some of it done before I go back to work tonight.

No comments: