Wednesday, September 16, 2020

 

 

                         The Coyote Story

   

 
 After moving to the farm, I made it a habit to take a walk with my dogs in the morning while it was still cool. My dogs often run off the path after an appealing scent but this morning it was obvious my dogs were tracking something as they ran into the thicket and over a small rise into a hollow. I waded into the woods using a narrow path trying to avoid the briars.
 

 
    I yelled for my dogs and my pittbull, Tank, ran back to me and stood at my side. A howl came from the hollow now just ahead of me. At first I thought it was my Doberman, Justice, but it was not her. I know what my dogs sound like. I yelled her name know scared and she ran over the hill and came back to me.
 

 
    I was armed as we live on a large wooded property that is home to numerous predators including coyotes and bobcats. I drew my weapon but held it at my side as the howling continued from the wooded area in front of me. No sooner had the noise stopped that a large tan coyote came running over the hill and at me just off to my left. I was able to get off three rounds before a movement in my peripheral on my right reoriented me. A small tan and black coyote was running towards me on my right and I was only able to get off two rounds. 
 
    At the same time my dogs took off after the tan coyote while the smaller one ran in the opposite direction. I’m know standing alone in a dense thicket trying to fight my way back to the road. Once there I start calling for my dogs and they meet me as I am almost half way back to our farm house. They are both in one piece and neither one of them look injured other than a few scratches from the briars. I don’t believe either of the dogs came close enough to the coyotes to even have a confrontation. I have no clue if I hit either one of the canines but over the past few months I’ve only been able to capture one coyote on our trail cams. I am hoping that I scared them bad enough that they never come close to the farm again. However the experience did sour my morning walk routine with my dogs. Even armed I am afraid to take the chance of running into a pack of coyotes and risk injury or death to my dogs. 
 
 

    Tank is no longer with me, he lives with my daughter now. He loves her more she saved him from the pound. Justice however is my dog now and we still walk in the mornings but I never go to far past the barn or walk the road near the hollow. 
 
    I recount the story on my Youtube page but I write much better than I story tell but I am getting better.  Please take a look and enjoy!.
 

 

No comments: