Sunday, February 05, 2006

Friendly Alabama

It always amazes me how much nicer people are here in Alabama. We have been here 2 days now and I have had more conversation with total strangers than I do with my own son. I have yet come across anyone that has not smiled back at me and asked how I was. Both times we have eaten out here our serving staff has been wonderful and almost doting. Erin has been referred to as baby girl several times already. Beth on the other hand wears her goth clothing and has a skull on her cap, she draws a few stares but that's been it. I almost decked a guy last night as my girls and I were walking to the gym until I realized he was just being nice. He was excited about the prospect of snow today and he was just sharing his enthusiasm. It is cold here low of 27 degrees this morning. Tonight it is not as cold but it is suppose to rain and everyone here is hoping it stays cold enough for the white stuff. We leave here early a.m. Monday morning for Banner Elk N.C. We may have to drive through snow the entire way. I am both intrigued and a little scared by the thought of having to drive with ice on the roads. Thank goodness we invested in Snow and Mud tires for the Yukon 2 years ago so far they have more than paid off.

Funniest incident so far has been Fred's short incident. He left yesterday just wearing a t-shirt and khaki shorts which is appropriate for South Florida. By the time we reached North Florida and the Panhandle he was freezing. We arrived early yesterday morning and was not able to check into our room so we did some Walmart shopping. All their winter coats and sweaters are on clearance so we stocked up. Fred bought a light fleece jacket and had it on before we left the store. He was okay until we stopped at the IHOP for breakfast. Everyone here in Tuscaloosa is bundled up in heavy clothing and boots. Fred walks in wearing a jacket and shorts, he drew many stares but no one asked him why. People are just way too polite here.

No comments: