Friday, April 09, 2010

The Steak House Ninjas


It being our last night in New Orleans my husband wanted to take us all out for a fancy dinner. For several days he asked around trying to find the best steak house in New Orleans. After a few mixed reviews he decided on the restaurant and made reservations. He decided on Dickie Brennan's Steak House in the French Quarter. I think a large part of his decision was based on the delicious food and service we received at The Palace Cafe which is owned and operated by Dickie Brennan, Steve Pettus and Lauren Brennan Brower.

The night started off well. As we were seated, my poor daughter was attacked by "The Ninjas". "The Ninjas" as my daughter called the wait staff. The poor young waiter went to place a napkin in Ellie's lap and she almost jumped out of her chair. He was so embarrassed, he didn't know what to say and he tended to stay away from her side of the table throughout the rest of our meal. I can't say that I blamed him. For the rest of the evening when we weren't eating we made a game of alerting Ellie when a "Ninja" approached the table so she would not jump and scare the poor waiters.

I have to say my hubby made an excellent choice in restaurants. We have been disappointed in the past paying too much for a piece of meat that no amount of steak sauce could save. We were all delighted with our meals. I ordered the chef's special Twin Filets over grits with a spicy garlic sauce. This was a very brave move on my part but I was intrigued by the choice grits served with this entree. Initially I found the reduction sauce over the filet very peppery almost too much but once I added all the flavors together the dish blended perfectly. I love my grits, I eat them with my eggs and my fish regularly but I have never eaten them with beef. I would never think to eat them with a filet. It was an awesome experience and a perfect dish for this old southern gal.

For 90 minutes, we were pampered and fed wonderful food and can't remember a moment during the entire evening when there wasn't something to eat on our table. The bread was warm and crusty. Fred ordered a starter of Portobello Fries. The salads were delicious - no ranch dressing here. And for dessert we had Bananas Foster over bread pudding, I have not enjoyed Bananas Foster since I was a teenager in Miami. I have to admit I was a little disappointed they did not prepare it at the table with the flame but it was very good none the less.

Life seems so dull now that we are back at home. Food doesn't taste the same, its tasteless and boring but after so much good food I see salads and other non-fat dishes in my future for a long time.

No comments: