Thursday, March 16, 2006

Another day in Paradise

I added a local newspaper article about the county I live in. Apparently we are in the top 20 of the fastest growing counties in the nation and with all the building that is going on around me I'm not surprised. I keep telling Fred as soon as out house is worth $500,000 we are selling and getting out of Dodge. The value of our home has already increased 100,000 since we purchased it last year. If people keep moving in to St Lucie county and house prices continue to soar it might be sooner than we think. Fred says we should hold out for more because we still both have a few years before we can retire and we still have 2 more children to put through college. UHGGGGGGG................

We are working hard to get the house back in order, the screen patio salesman from Pioneer came to the house yesterday and we basically went with the design he drew up several months ago with the addition of a large doggy door and the company will be removing and hauling off what is left of the aluminum structure still attached to our house. The salesman said he could have the pool enclosure back up by the end of April. Work orders have started slowing down and they have actually started laying off employees. They have quite a few contracts for new construction but that work is based on the near completion of the house and most of the new construction is just starting to go up. We are happy and will be even happier if they can get the patio back up before the mosquitoes get bad.

The grapefruit tree that was lounging on our power lines is gone which is sad because it was in full bloom and it smelled so sweet. I love the scent of orange blossom. The tangerine is still intact but it has not bloomed yet but I can wait.
We had a very nice crop of tangerines this year Erin tried her best to eat as many as she could. Erin and the children next door spent several afternoons pulling the fruit of the tree and have become very good at it. It is bare. I have one slight problem when Eric our neighbor cut down the grapefruit it still had the staghorn attached to it. Fred left it lying there when he picked up all the branches so I guess it is my job to find a new spot for it and get him to help me rehang it. The damn thing is huge and weighs several hundred pounds. We originally had 2 and he made me get rid of 1 of them but I'm not parting with this one.

We have had a busy week and we have had only one minor catastrophe. One of the circuit breakers blew at the box and it needed to be replaced. It was for the front patio and hallway light and we really did not think anything about it Fred would buy a new circuit breaker and replace it and it would be as good as new. Last night Erin went to pull out meat from the freezer to defrost. To her horror everything in the freezer was already defrosted, infact it was starting to get rank. Fred just bought groceries Saturday. We think the circuit blew Sunday. Fred had to go back to the grocery store last night and stock up. Thank goodness it wasn't full. I usually keep a ham and a turkey but I had cooked both of them in January and the other in February and had not replaced them. Erin morned the lose of her fruit pops but I will buy her more Friday when I shop.

No comments: