Sunday, May 17, 2009

Aerogarden Experiment - Day 1

I have been reading up on hydroponics the last several weeks. I bought a 55 gallon aquarium 2 weeks ago as a start up project. I have a few fish in it making plant fertilizer; I plan on floating lettuce/leafy greens in the aquarium as soon possible. I borrowed this unit from my mother and I am using left over nutrient she had left over.

Aerogarden_1282

The old Aerogarden machine cleaned up easily and it's ready to go.

Aerogarden_1285

I did not have the filler for the hydroponics cups and the holes are to big for standard clay or gravel filler.

Aerogarden_1284

So I used what was available. A bunch of orchid moss I had left over from my last gardening adventure.

Aerogarden_1287

I soaked the moss in tap water. (Note to self use distilled water next time.)

Aerogarden_1288

I picked Basil seeds because they are very easily grown in hydroponic systems.

Aerogarden_1289

I placed the seeds in the little nest I made.

Aerogarden_1291

My Basil is now ready to go.

Aerogarden_1292

I also planted Oregano because I love it.....

Aerogarden_1297

and an assortment of green leafy veggies for salads. If these grow they will be floating in my aquarium in the very near future.

Aerogarden_1301

Everyone is snug in their nice little green houses. I now get to wait and see if anything grows. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

sonofevil77 said...

I'm curious how this worked out!

Its Just Water said...

I still use this method to start seeds.