Saturday, June 07, 2008

A Day in the Life of 911

Here we sit day after day
waiting to hear all the people complain
"the neighbor's dog is barking too loud"
or "a group of kids are starting to crowd"
We listen intently to every word
the screaming the crying the poor injured bird
Dreading that call, when it comes in
where you have to locate the next of kin
It is in those days my sadness grows
my feelings and spirits brought to new lows
I tell myself that what I do is in need
and the things that I hear day after day i should heed
Child molesters, murderers, rapists and such
some days to bare it seems too much
Twelve long hours of tears, fears and rage
how quickly the stress does have me age
Am I appreciated for the job that I've done?
A day in the life at 911

By Annessa Tompkins


My friend wrote this the other day after she took a disturbing call. I really love it and she said I could share it.

No comments: