Thursday, October 19, 2006

I love Mornings......

 
 Posted by Picasa

After I take Beth to school this morning, I come home and let the dogs out. They run around the yard watering their favorite spots. This morning they race over to the corner of our property; there is no barking or growling, but I know they are up to no good. As I walk over to see what it is they are doing Butch walks towards me with one of their stuffed toys.........or so I thought in the morning gloom……not!!!! As he gets closer I realize he is carrying an opossum. I am praying it is dead but I know better having lived in Florida most of my life. Butch is such a good dog...well this morning anyway. I yell "drop it" and he does. I get Butch and Zak inside but Cujo refuses.

So here I am barefooted walking in damp grass trying to catch my one year old pain in the butt very large very quick puppy. He is dancing around me and the possum. The possum moves and we both jump. I knew it was playing "possum". I finally grabbed the dog and get him inside the patio enclosure and I block off the doggy door. I rush back into the house an shut off the patio lights hoping the poor thing will get up and run away if it is no longer under the glaring lights in the back yard.

Here we all are standing on the patio watching this poor creature: Me, 3 dogs and the cat. I am hoping it is really dead but from prior experience my dogs are more likely to maim the poor creatures they catch in our back yard than kill. The opossum finally lifts its head and sees us standing there. Zak barks and starts to whine which gives the possum more than enough incentive to scurry away on 3 good legs. “Shit!!!” By the time I get the dogs back into the house the small creature has disappeared. I’m thinking he has crawled under our shed. When Fred wakes up I’ll make him go look for it. Until then, I think I’ll stay in the house…….

No comments: