Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Happy 24th Anniversary!





Even as I approach my late middle age and try to act mature and wise, I know that I am very childish when it comes to truth and fairness. My husband has told me often that life is not fair and I know this but the little girl in me cries every time she witnesses an injustice and has to swallow the fact that people she looks up to are only human and often fall prey to lies, laziness, greed and politics. I often wonder what happened to the good guys? I know they are out there because I married one 24 years ago. He saved my life. He is my hero!

I find it upsetting that we have struggled all our married life to be honest and open with each other and have tried to impart the same morals of truth and honesty to our children. We have failed often as parents and partners but we are human. Thankfully, God gave us forgiveness and the intelligence to learn from our mistakes. As we have watched our children grow into maturity, we know that we have not failed to pass along the values and morals that our parents imparted to us. We have taught them that hard work and integrity are important but as I watch them enter the work place I wonder if we were wrong and have sadly misguided our children by teaching them a fairy tale.

Thankfully my husband kept very little from our children. I tried to protect them from the world but he came home everyday and told them about what he did and the things that went on in the street. He told them the stories of death and life and the good and the bad. He taught them reality but he also taught them to put themselves out there and help when they could. My hero frequently reached his hand out to help people and he has made a difference even if it was only for a brief period of time. Even when he failed or when a person did not understand the concept of friendship, it did not stop him. He still puts himself out there and tries to make a difference and I proudly watch my children try to do the same.   

Our children have celebrated with us our success and suffered through our failures and we have survived each conflict stronger than we were before. I am so thankful that God blessed me with a partner who was strong enough to accept me with all my baggage, tolerate my stubbornness and having the tenacity to stay even when we were at our lowest. I know they say love is blind but my eyes are wide open and I love this man more than ever. I would not change a thing about him nor do I regret one moment that I have spent with him.

No matter what happens in life from this day forward, you have always been and will always be my hero!

Happy Anniversary! I love you!

No comments: